Frank Cho apesandbabes forum message board
Home Forum Contact Liberty Meadows Register Profile Check your private messages Log in
CREATION OF FRANKENSTEIN, Part 2!

Reply to topic FRANK CHO Forum Index - ► Frank Cho Comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Cho
Monkeyboy King

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: CREATION OF FRANKENSTEIN, Part 2! Reply with quote

One Click on the image to zoom in ------------- Double-click on image to zoom out

As many of you know who read this blog, what started as a simple exercise-demonstration of my inking technique has morphed into a major illustration piece.

I often redraw and change things around throughout the drawing process. If something doesn't look right, I change it until I get it right (or abandon the piece completely). As you can clearly see, I've completely redrawn the Frankenstein Monster in the background even after the inking process has started. I may still change it until the very last ink line is laid.

The inking process is a simple one. I start with the items in the extreme foreground and work my way back. Since the dress is in the foreground, I started inking that first. Following the value of light and shade, I lay in thick ink lines for areas that are in shadow and lay in thin ink lines for areas that are light.

The slant of the ink lines are spontaneous. Most of the lines are laid out with no real planning. I try to follow the form and the flow of the figure. Be sure to add an odd slant of ink lines in large areas of same patterned lines. This will break up the monotonous nature of the line work and add life to the piece.

More in few days.

--
Frank Cho
Erik Burnham
Burnhamaniac!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting.  The first time I've seen the Monster missing the ol' nose.  Makes it feel more zombie like.

Love the work though.  Moreso than the book itself.  What a dull read! Heh.  I found it so, anyway.  Still love the overall concept, if not the execution.  Lends itself to a lot of very interesting interpretation.  Like this piece.

See how I circled that back around?  That's why I make the bucks writing. lol
DMAN
elevated monkeyboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not Frankenstein...it's Zombie King about to get himself some!
Wink
Elvgrenized

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So cool to see the step-by-step & hear your reasons for doing it that way! I'm loving the drapery.

Have you considered flipping the Monster & the whole background to the other side of the drawing? Her gaze is leading there, & it might balance the composition more. Just a thought....
Frank Cho
Monkeyboy King

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought of that composition that you stated above in the beginning but it didn't work for me. I felt that it was too common and too straight forward.

The scene is an instant before the serenity is broken and the woman faces her doom. She's fingering her necklace daydreaming, she notices that something is not right and slowly turns around. By loading up the right side, it creates more psychological drama. The open space on the left side acts as a set up, the calm before the storm,  as the diagonal slope of the drapes leads the eyes to the conclusion, the deadly realization by the woman that she is not alone.
Archangel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a beautiful arm, Frank.  The position still bugs me, though.

What if it were fully pronated, the palm facing backward, the wrist bent and fingers slightly splayed in Boris Karloff-fashion? two_cents

His face is awesome, btw.
bwhiz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stellar, I myself like the arm much better. I think it could be slightly improved if the hand itself were just starting to flex, fingers apart as if about to grab her.
skull island

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:18 am    Post subject: Wow!!! Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks not only for the outsanding art, but also for the tips on inking those draperies. That also makes this a nod to Wrightson.

The whole thing is extremely ominous. That veiny, muscled arm makes a scary contrast to her bare and vulnerable shoulders and neck.
Great work.
The Fred
Super-Doc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many many levels of awesome OK
Reply to topic FRANK CHO Forum Index - ► Frank Cho Comics All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: