Frank Cho apesandbabes forum message board
Home Forum Contact Liberty Meadows Register Profile Check your private messages Log in
Alien: Covenant Spoilers

Reply to topic FRANK CHO Forum Index - ► Frank Cho Matinee
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skull island

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Alien: Covenant Spoilers Reply with quote

Howdy Gang,

I went to see this instead of seeing Wonder Woman again with my wife and younger daughter. Regretted it.

Spoilers below but I don't give lots of details. Still recommend Wonder Woman head and shoulders over this one.

I love monsters. I am not big on robots or zombies. In the Prometheus films the superb monster from Alien is almost an afterthought, just an add on. This movie has some good visuals but its best moments are just nods to Alien and Aliens. It's plot is in many ways just a rehash of the first film. The humans are not developed much as characters. They are in this movie to die gorey deaths. And that's my main complaint. This is just grim. And that has been the trend after the first two movies. So save your cash for Dunkirk which is coming out later this month. Or sit down and watch the first two Alien movies again.
Batusi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Looks around*
I liked the 4th Alien movie.
*Runs away*
skull island

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:06 pm    Post subject: That's okay. Reply with quote

Hey, Batsui, you are free to enjoy any movie you want.
It's just my thought as a lover great monsters is that the first
two alien films created critters that were legendary. The Prometheus movies
have come up with some nasty creatures but they aren't spectacular and
seem to be there mostly for the gross out factor. In this film the original creatures play second fiddle to some really bland villains. I say, if you can't come up
with something to top the alien queen give up.
And as I said these more recent films seem very mean spirited.
The human characters are just there to die in really nasty ways.
I shoulda gone with my wife and younger daughter to see Wonder
Woman again. That's a great movie.
BATFAN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I genuinely think Ridley Scott wanted to move away (feeling wise) from the original Aliens flicks (specifically the first two) and wanted to do a "smarter" version of the series thus the whole "who created us" story but the Aliens fans wanted to see....aliens! (xenomorphs) So he had to change course and to satisfy the fans he gave us Covenant instead of what probably would've been a literal continuation to Prometheus.

IDK, i liked both Prometheus and Covenant. I dont watch movies to be educated or to have my mind challenged ( i watch documentaries for that) im going to see a movie to entertain me, and for the most part movies accomplish that. If a movie wants to explore themes like the deeper meaning of life and how or where we come from im all for that, just make it "passable" and Prometheus did fine with that, and was hoping the sequel would continue with that.

As for the brutal killings in Covenant...that's just where the current bar is set, you just cant have people getting stabbed and shot down anymore, they have to be stabbed and torn apart, and shot and explode.
https://twitter.com/erick_cruz
skull island

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same feeling, Batfan, that the alien sequences were tacked on just to please fans. And I admit those were the bits that I liked the best. As for the violence of the killings to me it really gives weight to that old phrase we've heard about TV and movies for years: "meaningless violence." Since the characters weren't developed enough for us to get attached to them, or even know who they were, it was just a gross out. John Hurt died violently in the first film but we had time to get to know the crew of The Nostromo at least enough to be able to sympathize with their plight. This movie seems to be built around mass destruction for no particular reason. Oh, and they have put in a hook for fans of the Alien films for the sequel. But on the bright side, the new Spiderman movie opens this Friday and Dunkirk is coming later in the month.
Reply to topic FRANK CHO Forum Index - ► Frank Cho Matinee All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: