Frank Cho apesandbabes forum message board
Home Forum Contact Liberty Meadows Register Profile Check your private messages Log in
CBR: Frank Cho Unleashes A "Savage Wolverine"

Reply to topic FRANK CHO Forum Index - ► Frank Cho Comics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_UgoM!_
ut infra

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: CBR: Frank Cho Unleashes A "Savage Wolverine" Reply with quote

http://www.comicboo......d=42000

article, interview + never seen before art from issue #2 and #3
skull island

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Great! Reply with quote

Now them's some nice pterodactyls.
onthecusp50

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work, Frank.

Or, to put it another way, "damn, that's some awesome shit!!". (Which was actually the first thing that popped into my head.)
OLLIE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks great.  Very Happy

Will you be going straight into the next storyline or will someone else be taking over for a few issues to give you some extra time?
Halbred

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Great! Reply with quote

skull island wrote:
Now them's some nice pterodactyls.

NOPE. I could go into the dozen reasons why, but...it's already drawn, so...hmph.
skull island

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:10 pm    Post subject: pterosaurs Reply with quote

Well, Halberd, they may not be correct to the last detail of the fossil record, but they do look mighty cool. I mean Ray Harryhausen animated a couple of creatures that were a cross between Tyranosaurs and Allosaurs too but the movies were sure fun.
Nightcrawler86

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cho remarked. "Wolverine and Amadeus have abilities and technologies that help them deal with things like that, but with Shanna -- I never liked the idea of a person able to fight off prehistoric monsters with gymnastic skills, so I came up with a organic way to empower her with some interesting physical abilities."

Hmm, so you're giving this Shanna superpowers like your Max version of her. I can't say I agree with that. Especially considering that you earlier in the interview, say this:
Quote:
"If you look at the pulp characters, you have people doing extraordinary things within the confines of realism, but who are still larger than life like the Shadow, Tarzan and Doc Savage."

Sheena (whom let's face it, Shanna is a direct copy of) is part of that same pulp tradition. You wouldn't augment Tarzan with extra physical abilites, would you? I personally feel like you lose a very interesting layer of the jungle woman/man archetype (i.e Tarzan, Sheena/Shanna, etc) when you give them superhuman powers. Sheena/Tarzan characters represent human beings at their natural, not super-natural, physical prime and are ultimately a statement of the limits and boundaries of human capabilities when faced with a dangerous and savage world.

But, it's your book, and I understand your point of view, so I guess we have to agree to disagree. I do however share your opinions about Obama, so it kind of evens out. Smile
Halbred

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: pterosaurs Reply with quote

skull island wrote:
Well, Halberd, they may not be correct to the last detail of the fossil record, but they do look mighty cool. I mean Ray Harryhausen animated a couple of creatures that were a cross between Tyranosaurs and Allosaurs too but the movies were sure fun.

I just...look, there's no reason that an accurate, feasible pterosaur can't be drawn well and be threatening. The "Pteranodon" in this picture has theropod legs, a tail, and various other things that make me wince. There's an opportunity here to teach AND be exciting. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

This complaint isn't specific to Uncle Frank. Every comic artist out there does it to some extent. Brett Booth is good enough to double-check his pencils on Twitter with his paleo friends and take feedback. With the wealth of horrifying dinosaur "documentaries" on cable that do more harm than good, I feel like we need anybody who does paleoart needs to step it up for accuracy and realism.

Velociraptors can be realistic AND scary, for example.
skull island

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:22 am    Post subject: true Reply with quote

You've got a point, Halbred.
Dinosaurs themselves are pretty awe inspiring without enhancement.
Reply to topic FRANK CHO Forum Index - ► Frank Cho Comics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: